August 23, 2009

Two-QB Controversy -Please vote!

Okay.

I understand that there are some drawbacks to having 2 QB's with 12 teams. Bye weeks, injuries, etc. If someone drafts Peyton Manning, and he goes down in the 2nd game, that player is at a serious disadvantage, considering that all of the starting QB's will inevitably be taken already. I don't want to put anyone through the situation of having to leave a roster spot empty every week. I don't think that I can produce a feasible solution to the bye-week/injury debate with the current set of rules. In my opinion, this is a problem that we are all facing evenly and fairly. I intend on punting the missing QB slot for my team during bye weeks, and hoping that no one goes down on injury. But, I can't persuade anyone else to play like that.

While I still want to keep 2 QB's in this league, I also want to make it as fun as possible while culturing competitive play. Therefore, I am going to put it to vote. I know if anything changes now, it may affect your draft analysis thus far. Though, in my experience, the major parts of my draft analysis happen within the week before the draft, being finalized the day before. I want to apologize in advance if this ends up affecting any draft analysis you've already done.

These are the three options:

1) Keep the league as-is. Two quarterbacks, and the QB/Flex option.

2) Change the roster spots to 1 QB, but keep the Flex position to allow a 2nd starting QB. Also, add another IDP position (I will want to add another IDP spot if Option 2 was voted best to attempt to recover the lost depth at QB strategy).

3) Only allow 2 QB's to be owned by any team at any given time (except in injury situations), and make the Flex position only RB/WR/TE.

Please let me know your vote as soon as possible. I will see what everyone thinks and change the rules accordingly (if necessary) on Tuesday at noon.

19 comments:

  1. My vote is for Option 2.

    I strongly dislike Option 3 because restricting every team to a maximum of two QBs on a roster would force them to have an empty roster spot two weeks of the season. Option 2 is clearly the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, even though I voted for Option 3, I have no problem with any of the options. I'd do any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote 1 that's what makes this league so different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not voting yet, but if I was to vote for #2, it would only be if you back off the 2 IDPs. With a 12 man league 1QB,3WR,2RB,1TE,1Flex,1IDP, and a K is plenty of roster. There is no reason to add another defensive player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I agree with John. 3 is a horrible option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh is just afraid of IDPs because he's never done it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not afraid of them, I just think there is no need to have a 20 player roster. There is going to be plenty of scoring and excitement having 2 QBs and the other positions, I just don't think it adds anything to the league to have more than 1 IDP. (or really even 1 for that matter, I think D/ST is a much better setup.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh,

    We wouldn't be adding a roster spot, we'd be replacing QB with IDP.

    I will only put Option 2 through with another IDP spot. I think that after reading the post directly after this one, seeing how important a strong defensive performance can be toward winning the year, you should agree.

    I am more inclined to add even more IDP's rather than take them away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miguel votes for Option 2...

    Get ready to draft 3 IDP Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Dad votes for Option 3. I in no way influenced his decision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This effectively gives Option 2 the win, so I will make the change.

    Sorry to all who didn't get their way. Let me know if you want to discuss it further.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'M WRONG.

    Option 2 hasn't won yet... the tally is 2-5-2, if John Herrin, Wally Matoska and David Hamilton all vote either Option 1 or 3, then we will have a tie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wally voted Option 2, Option 2 wins for sure. I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat could you post the new format for position slots, just so it's clear?

    ReplyDelete

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.
-Eugene McCarthy