August 28, 2009

Some things to think about... and instructions.

Here we are, two days before the draft. I don't know where many of you are at in preparation... I know I feel the weight of a few hours in Excel looming over me, forever up until now being put off. You'd think I spend time doing stuff like this while being unemployed. You'd be surprised at how many other things seem more important!

Anyway, I want to write a quick post regarding the value you may be placing at certain positions in the draft. Don't worry, I'm not changing anything, but I think there's something present in this league that if you haven't already considered it, you should very soon. Like... now.

A while ago I wrote a few of you in an e-mail about some of the major changes in the league. One of the significant differences I mentioned was the new value of Special Teams play for individual players. While Kyle mentioned this in a post not long ago, I don't think that the real point was communicated as much as it needs to be. Special Teams players receive fantasy points in this league in a very similar, if not exactly similar, way to regular offensive players.

Consider this: The Green Bay Packers, the chumps they are, kick off to Devin Hester on 9/13, assured that Hester will continue his slump from last year. On the opening kick, Hester receives the ball and WHAM... runs it back for a ninety yard return touchdown, jumping over two Packers along the way, hitting A.J Hawk in the mouth, green gold and blood all over his unifor... okay, no... 95% (and lowering, Josh) percent of leagues award 6pts to whoever was sly enough to grab the Chicago D/ST this year, while you watch the StatTracker and notice that the obviously inexperienced or moronic team who took Hester in the 5th round just got 15 pts to start the game, without even playing one offensive down. You see, Hester received 1pt for every 10yrds he returned (exactly like an offensive player), and another 6ts for making a touchdown (yup), totaling 15pts.

This kind of production will be awarded to ALL players of Special Teams. Is it going to radically change the first round of the draft? Probably not, but maybe! Will it change the middle rounds? We'd be stupid to think it wouldn't. Guys like MJD, Hester, Sproles, etc. have enormously increased value, and I won't be surprised to see them go very, very early.

So my warning to you is: Think about this. Consider it, and know the value of the players before you draft assuming that this is a normal league. There are significant changes, so understand them before Sunday.

If you haven't really decided how your draft is going to look, or if you haven't done much to prepare, you're in the same boat as me. Though, you're probably not lucky enough to be unemployed to devote free time like I can. So get ready while you can, Sunday is fast approaching.

One more thing. I'd like everyone to be here between 12:30pm and 1pm, and be ready to START DRAFTING at 1:05pm. I imagine the draft to take a while, but it shouldn't drag as long as we follow the very intuitive time schedule I have made.

Please let me know if you need anything. I am going to provide chip-like snacks and soda for the draft. If anyone wants beer, please bring a six-pack at your leisure. I'd also like to ask everyone who wants to order pizza following the draft to bring $6-7 CASH to contribute to the bill, as I have time being unemployed, but no money. Below is my address, with simple instructions from Kenosha.

Take 31 north to Racine.
Take a right onto HWY C/Spring St.
Take a left at the first light, Spring Valley Drive.
Stay left
Go to the end of the road, the house is green on the left hand side.

1518 Spring Valley Drive
Racine

Good luck to all. Please let me know if you have any questions!

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure Jones-Drew is no longer involved in the return game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Jones-Drew is no longer involved in the return game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok guys, bad example. Focus on the main point...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just doing something that Freeborn would do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey pat I was just thinking and I'm not sure if you know this, but I'm pretty sure jones-drew is no longer involved in the return game...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also people may want to put a little higher value on Chad Ochocinco, 'cause apparently he's going to be getting some points for kicking duties, too.

    ReplyDelete

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.
-Eugene McCarthy