August 28, 2010

A little IDP rejiggering

Hey Guys (and John Freeborn),

So Pat, David and I were not entirely satisfied with how the IDPs worked out last year and didn't think the slight changes we made this year were enough to address the issue. The problem with the current IDP set up is that there isn't enough scarcity at each IDP position to make much difference either in week to week scoring or in the season long categorical competitions. Basically, the gap between the #1 guy and the #12 guy at each position isn't very significant. The whole reason for having IDPs as a part of this league is because this is supposed to be a specialized "expert" league and selecting individual defensive players should take more skill than just picking one defense and sticking with it for the year.

Our idea is to add 3 additional IDPs to the roster (1 each of DL, LB, & DB) and add one additional bench spot. This will increase the scarcity at each defensive position which will make the top guys more valuable and cause managers to put a little more week-to-week research/strategy into the IDP spots that don't have sure fire starters.

I know that some of you aren't super fond of the IDPs in the first place, and probably won't be very excited about this change, but what I would ask is for you to just stop and think about if this change would really have any negative effect on the league or your ability to win. The only negative I see in the change is a few extra rounds in the draft, but we're starting early, so no big deal.

This decision is not final; it is just something that the 3 of us would like to change. But we are essentially putting it to a league vote. If you could reply back to one of us with your preference on this and we'll leave it up to the majority to decide.

Lemme know what you think.

-Josh

7 comments:

  1. Again, excellent idea Josh. I like this because I do believe it will add strategy to the IDP part of the game, without significantly affecting any draft strategies that have been developed up to this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless u make the value of the IDP's worth something more....like giving game bonuses (I.e. 5 bonus points for 15+ tackles in a single game or 10 bonus points for 3+ sacks in a single game, int's, etc....) I don't see the point in adding more IDP's. They aren't really worth much to anyone in the first place as we have it. How is adding more of them going to make us feel more value when considering defense? Personally I think IDP's is just going to make the draft longer...and unless we are incentivize with points for those IDP's I don't think anyone is going to hold them in higher regard. I say switch it to full team defense (which I know u won't;) ) and let's just focus on offense. There isn't even a legit place to mock draft for IDP's and all the other customized settings we already have. Why make it more detailed and confusing ? Honestly I don't think people really care about defense in FF....IDP or full team. I vote against more IDP's and just IDP's in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to keep the IDPs at 4. I like having to strategize regarding the IDPs (vs team defenses) but I agree with Kyle that offense is where the rubber hits the road. 8 defensive players waters down the talent pool and creates that much more work to manage. I would rather spend time focusing on the offense. Tony Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, as of Sunday night, here's how the voting stacks up. There are 3 that are strongly for the change, 2 that are strongly against it, and 2 that were initially against it but are now in support (but seemingly would also be ok if things stayed the way they are). I don't think we are going to get a strong opinion from Juan because he's new to the league and the game in general. So I need to hear from a few more of you. If it comes down to noon tomorrow and these are the only ones we hear from, we will make the change since there seems to be stronger support than opposition at this point. If you're strongly opposed and your name isn't Kyle or Tony Sr. let use know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or, you could also lettuce know.

    Or, just let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh, in my most recent post, I gave a firm deadline of tomorrow night 11:59pm CST. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like this change is in effect. I already made the changes in Yahoo! so we'll leave as is.

    ReplyDelete

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.
-Eugene McCarthy